Monday, 9 July 2012

Summer Pinterest Challenge 2012















On Saturday I talked about the options for this seasons Pinterest challenge hosted by
In the end we decided on the the chalkboard doors (from Restored style) for our pantry doors, which we have been meaning to do  forever.


We have been working hard on them over the weekend and I can show you pictures of them almost finished but we are having a few problems, mostly due to living in an old wonky flat. So the final pictures will wait until those kinks have been worked out.

We have another area of shame that I haven't shared with you before and that is the pantry cupboard, next to the dining nook in our kitchen. It is a great space for storing a whole load of junk that we use frequently, but it doesn't look very pretty.


We have our recycling, our spare chairs, our bread machine, board games and paper work alongside other things. We really make the space work for us thats for sure! Once upon a time we consider knocking down the wall to extend our dining space, but thats a story for another day!

To neaten everything up and hide away our shame we were looking for some half doors, but because our flat was built over 100 years ago it wasn't easy. The standard doors from B&Q are much too small. So back in January we found some shutters in a salvage yard and snapped them up, even though we didn't have our measurements with us.


Once we got home and measured up we found that they were a bit too short (easily fixed) and a bit too wide (not so easily fixed!!) so we had our work cut out for us.

First up we tried sanding them to reduce the width but our wee sander just wasn't strong enough and they were still too big for the doorway. 


So then Rodney tried to saw off just a tiny bit from each door, we should have found somebody with some tools to borrow but instead we used our saw.


Once Rodney had shaved off what he needed we gave both doors a good sand. Then added a some wood to the bottom and caulked it to try and hide the join.


Then once Rodney was done I could get my spray on! I sprayed the back of both doors with a can of blackboard paint we picked up from B&Q. Amazingly this time I managed to get the hang of the fine and even coating and didn't have any drips :-) However the spray paint went over the masking tape I had put on to try and keep the white paint white.


We came back to the doors on Sunday once the blackboard paint had time to dry and attached the first one to the frame. 


I then painted them with our trim paint so they are nice and fresh but because of the spray paint they need a couple of coats and I ran out of time over the weekend. So forgive the slightly unfinished after pictures we will give them a second coat through the week and will also work out how to get them to shut properly.



On Sunday night we had Rodney's Parents over for dinner to celebrate his Dad's birthday so that was a perfect opportunity to try out the new chalk boards :-) 



I really love the blackboards and are hoping we continue to use them, maybe for a list of things to do (I'm obsessed with them) or a whats on this week reminder, but we are a bit gutted that we hadn't quite got them finished over the weekend. Oh well..... there is always the next one.

What did you do? What would you write on your chalkboard?

16 comments :

  1. Chairs on hooks! Amazing. I'm doing this just as soon as I can get my drill out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good for saving space - another great ikea trick!! xox

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this idea! The blackboard paint is purrfect. I don't know if I'll have a pantry, but if so, I want to add this onto it. So fun but super practical, too. And the shutter 'doors' were a perfect idea! Can't wait to see the full sha-bang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really easy to do (well the blackboard bit of it!), we are also thinking of putting some on our front door as for reminders on the way out xox

      Delete
  3. Well done! You put in a lot of work and it was well worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - glad you like it :-) xox

      Delete
  4. This is brilliant! Well done on getting your project (almost) finished already!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an absolutely brilliant idea ;-)

    It definitely offers more space than on the backs of a couple small cabinet doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Great minds! I'm going to look into the chalk pens you mentioned to see if that makes the writing neater and brighter. xox

      Delete
  6. I love the amount of space you have with your chalkboard doors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Ash! :) I have been contemplating where to put one in our kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the chalkboard doors! They look great!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, they make my day!!

(I'm afraid I have had to add the word verification off as the spambots have been going crazy recently)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...